Before Your Surgery
Our office will contact you when we are ready to book your surgery. Contact our office at 403-760-2897 Ext 1 should your contact or medical history change or you have any questions.
PREPARING FOR SURGERY
3 Months Before:
If you are taking acne medication: Research has shown that Accutane (Isotretinoin) which is used to treat acne can interfere with healing after orthopaedic surgery and may be a factor in tissue and graft stretching or failure. To ensure that your surgery is not cancelled please stop taking Accutane at least 3 months prior to your surgery date. You should not restart Accutane medication for at least 6 months after your surgery.
2 Weeks Before:
Stop taking: Advil, Motrin, and Aspirin as well as all Herbal Supplements, Vitamins, or Minerals for 10-14 days prior to your surgery date. This is important because these medications and supplements can increase your risk of bleeding.
1 Week Before (approximately):
A nurse from the hospital will contact you approximately one week prior to your surgery date to give you information regarding your surgery.
Do not shave your surgical site the day before or the day of your surgery.
DO NOT eat or drink after midnight (24:00) the night before your surgery
- No gum; No candy; No water (unless advised by the hospital Nurse)
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth but do not swallow any water
DAY OF SURGERY
- Date and time will be confirmed with you via email from your surgeon’s office approximately 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Check-in at the Admissions Desk or Emergency Department of the Hospital.
- Crutches and braces may be purchased at the hospital. If you bring your own please make sure they are clearly labelled.
- You MUST have someone to drive you home from the hospital.
AFTER YOUR SURGERY
- Your first Follow up Appointment details (if required) will be included in your surgery email (received approx. 2 weeks before your surgery)
- If you have any problems or complications after your surgery please refer to the after surgery section of our website.
Also refer to the Frequency Asked Questions (FAQ) section of our website for a list of commonly asked questions.